From Mother With Love

Hi everyone. My name is Lisa Warner and I'm a 42 year old mother of 4 and a teacher. I just adore kids and love spending as much time with them as possible. I've decided to create this blog to give people an insight into my life as a full time parent, teacher and carer for children.

Sunday, November 19, 2006

How Much Chaos Can One Aunt Cause?

Well I was right about the kids accepting a dvd/pizza night as compensation for their aunt's horrible visit. I hadn't reckoned on Natasha knowing about the new Magnum puddings (have you seen them, they've got fantastic fillings and ice cream - obviously - and then that lovely thick Magnum chocolate!) She said it would be a crime not to try them, so they were added into the deal.

It's very hard these days to find a film that will hold everyone's interest. When you think we have to cater for the simplicity of Emily's tastes (think pink, think happy, think princesses), the more macho requirements of Jack and Richard (think fast cars, think noise, think action) and the "sophisticated" style of Natasha, you are limited in your choices. My needs are way down the list. I am just required to hire it, watch it and return it.

We decided that IceAge 2 fitted the bill. Luckily for me I had already got a copy in my "emergency cupboard" so that was one less thing to have to get. Just for information: my emergency cupboard started when the children were toddlers and prone to mega strops that in my early days as a mum I found very hard to cope with. My mum suggested that I keep in reserve a few odds and ends, like new colouring pencils and blank paper for scribbling, some usually forbidden multi-coloured sweets (in very small packets!!!) an interesting book with bright illustrations and, of course, a new unseen video, for really desperate rainy afternoons. This supply has been my salvation on many occasions and even now, many years and tantrums later, I still rely on it.

So there we were with a variety of pizzas and the dvd. Everything was going well. There were no arguments about who was going to sit on which seat, who needed most cushions and most important of all, who would hold the remote control. (We have a tick list - can't you just tell I'm a teacher!) Half-way through I realised that Jack had been increasingly quiet and had eaten virtually nothing.

Anyone who has met Jack will tell you that he doesn't do quiet and he doesn't hold back when a pizza box is opened. He had manoeuvred himself next to me on the sofa and was twisting the tassel on his cushion round and round until it came off.

As it came away in his hand he gave a huge angry sob and stormed out of the room. The older two didn't notice or care but Emily and I were both astounded. Emily stared up at me, open-mouthed, and made to follow her brother. I called her back and went after Jack.

I won't bore you with all the details of how I found out what the problem was or what I said to comfort him but believe me, I was so angry. Apparently, not content with giving stupid, impossible-to-follow orders to my children and making them eat things they hate, their aunt Georgina had told Jack that he was a "mistake" and by rights shouldn't be here.

It turns out that while trying to eat his dinner and failing miserably because cabbage was involved, Georgina had shouted at him that he should be grateful to have food and a nice home because he wasn't a "planned" child like the other three but a "mistake".

According to her reckoning because there is a five year gap between Richard and Jack, his conception must have been an unwanted accident and we were too stupid to get rid of him. Even as I write this I am still shaking with fury that someone could spout such hurtful rubbish to a child (and a relative at that!)

In fact Jack was planned and wanted and loved. If Georgina had ever bothered to visit or phone or generally be involved in our young family she would have known that I was ill after Richard was born and needed some time to recover. We had always wanted a big family and it just took a bit longer than we had planned.

Steve missed most of this drama, only coming in at the end in time to finish some cold pizza and sit with Jack til he fell asleep. At the time he didn't realise why he was sitting with a tear-stained child, he just did what he is so good at - being a warm, cuddly dad. I told him much later what it was all about.....

Well, that's one less Christmas card I'll need this year.

But that isn't the end of it. This time she has gone too far and next week Steve says we are going to see Georgina and tell her a few home truths......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home