From Mother With Love

Hi everyone. My name is Lisa Warner and I'm a 42 year old mother of 4 and a teacher. I just adore kids and love spending as much time with them as possible. I've decided to create this blog to give people an insight into my life as a full time parent, teacher and carer for children.

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

We've Been to See Her!

Before I up-dated this bit of my blog I thought I would try and calm myself by thinking of something else and write about it on my Parental Advice blog. Usually this works a treat. It didn't today.

Last night Steve and I went over to see Georgina. Normally an opportunity to spend some time with just Steve is wonderful. It happens very rarely and so is such a treat. There was nothing pleasant about this trip.

I had tried to talk to Steve's mum about what had happened but she was very busy when I rang and, to be honest, I don't think she wanted to get involved. I can't blame her. She was there when all this about Jack was said but I think she hoped he hadn't taken any notice. Apparently he didn't react at the time and she thought it would all blow over. Needless to say, she hadn't mentioned any of this to us when we had got back.

When I rang Georgina to arrange to meet up she obviously had no idea what it was all about. At first she thought I was ringing to take her out to dinner to thank her for all her "hard work". When I had stopped spluttering I suggested we stayed in instead. All I wanted to do was shout at this stupid woman and, possibly, thump her - not the sort of thing you can do in a restaurant, unless you want to get kicked out.

She was all smiles when we got there and started on about how glad she was to have been "such a help". Steven grabbed my hand before I could throw the first punch and muttered about counting to ten. Ha! If I counted to a thousand I would still be raging.

Once she had gone through her usual fussy routine of getting coffee (in cups with saucers - I don't think she owns a mug) and biscuits (served on individual plates - arghhh!) she looked at us ready to receive her due praise.

I let Steve do it. I don't think I could have got through the first sentence without resorting to violence and swearing.

Steve had decided that he would ignore all the other issues, like the stupid rules and eating up cabbage, and just concentrate on what she had said to Jack. He explained very clearly how upset Jack was and how hurtful and untrue it all was. He started really well, honestly, he did. He hadn't reckoned on just how stupid she is, how thick-skinned and how out of touch with real family life.

She was astonished. She had no idea what we were talking about. She got really cross and told us we were ungrateful and bad parents.

There probably was more but I didn't wait to hear it. I grabbed hold of Steve and we walked out. We sat in the car shaking and didn't drive off for ages because we just couldn't do it. I am sure she was watching us from behind the curtains - perhaps she expected us to come back in and apologise. She'd have a long wait.

Eventually we managed to start the car and drove further down the road where she couldn't see us. Steve was so hurt. He loves his family but this was the last straw. I doubt if there will be much contact between them now for a long time.

We got home and tried to pretend that everything was ok but the kids aren't stupid. We were all a bit subdued and for once no one objected when it was bedtime. We were all glad to escape but I doubt if Steve or I had more than a couple of hours' sleep.

I hope that's the end of it for now but somehow I doubt it. Jack's class have got an open afternoon this week so I may get a chance to see what his teacher says. He looks so unhappy each morning and glares at the others as if he really resents them.

I'm going to sweep up some leaves now - every one I squash into the rubbish sack I will imagine is Georgina's face!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home